Secret of Mana 2 (Neuübersetzung)

• Ich habe keine Fehler bei den Feen. Bekommt ihr alle diese Fehler? Evtl ist was beim ips patch erstellen schief gelaufen.

@Red
    Im Intro sind aber noch ein paar Fehler. Zum einen die Bindestriche bei Mana-Göttin und Mana-Baum usw. die sollten zusammen geschrieben werden, ohne Bindestrich. Das wurde aber schon mal erwähnt. Ist das schon gefixt und ich hab doch noch nicht die aktuelle Version?
    Außerdem im Video bei min 0:25 ist das "d" bei "die Weld in Verdammnis" verbugt. Drei und vier Zeilen darunter sind die Sprites vom Test am flackern. Zu viele Sprites, Überlastung? Dann noch bei min 0:40 ist zwischen den Zeilen "Die Mana-Göttin verwandelte" und "sich in einen Baum und fiel" ist eine Zeile frei. Schaut irgendwie doof aus. Kannste das noch mal überarbeiten?

[video]

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    [/video]

• Ich habe keine Fehler bei den Feen. Bekommt ihr alle diese Fehler? Evtl ist was beim ips patch erstellen schief gelaufen.
    "I have no errors in the fairies. Are you getting all these errors? Possibly what the ips create patch went wrong."
    [video]

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    [/video]

I think Red mentioned that the tool made by Magno was based on a certain version of the rom.
    Maybe it doesn't have errors with your roms because they're the German patch, however I had
    also tried to patch several different versions of the German Translation which I had downloaded
    to see if this was the case, but even those, after patching, still had the fairies glitch. Maybe I
    should try a different patch program, I normally use SNESTL12.exe to apply patches. I will
    try Lunar-IPS and see if that makes any difference...

Update:
    Nope, no difference... I tried the patch on the Japanese rom as well, still glitches on fairies.
    How sad, such a beautiful title screen.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ich habe keine Fehler bei den Feen. Bekommt ihr alle diese Fehler? Evtl ist was beim ips patch erstellen schief gelaufen.

@Red
    Im Intro sind aber noch ein paar Fehler. Zum einen die Bindestriche bei Mana-Göttin und Mana-Baum usw. die sollten zusammen geschrieben werden, ohne Bindestrich. Das wurde aber schon mal erwähnt. Ist das schon gefixt und ich hab doch noch nicht die aktuelle Version?
    Außerdem im Video bei min 0:25 ist das "d" bei "die Weld in Verdammnis" verbugt. Drei und vier Zeilen darunter sind die Sprites vom Test am flackern. Zu viele Sprites, Überlastung? Dann noch bei min 0:40 ist zwischen den Zeilen "Die Mana-Göttin verwandelte" und "sich in einen Baum und fiel" ist eine Zeile frei. Schaut irgendwie doof aus. Kannste das noch mal überarbeiten?

Ich hab im Introtext das mit Manabaum usw. noch nich geändert, werde ich mal nachholen.

Das die Zeilen flackern ist normal. Liegt an der möglichen Darstellung der Sprites die das SNES darstellen kann. Ich werde mal versuchen ob ich den Text noch mehr Zeilen bekomme, um dies zu vermeiden, aber glaube ich habe die max Anzahl schon.

@KB: I have also try to patch a japanse sd3 rom with the english 1.1 Version and after this i use the new titlescreen patch. I got the same glitches.

If DB wont show any reaction of your querry, i will try to insert the new title screen manualy to the english som2 rom.

Maybee it works.

regards

red

• @KB: I have also try to patch a japanse sd3 rom with the english 1.1 Version and after this i use the new titlescreen patch. I got the same glitches.

If DB wont show any reaction of your querry, i will try to insert the new title screen manualy to the english som2 rom.

Thank you! I sent an email to Dragonsbrethren's current email adress (the one listed at his website - dragonsbrethren.slickproductions.org) and also started a thread on his forum (it was very difficult to register, it asked questions about Dynasty Warriors). Hopefully he will respond and give some advice on how to create a patch for the 1.01 english rom. If not, then I wish you good luck in your attempts to insert the title. I believe I included two versions of the rom in the PM I sent you. The first being the 1.01 english version with the original romaji title and "fail" checksum, and the second being the modified rom with the older "Secret of Mana 2" title and fixed checksums and internal title. It doesn't matter which one you are able to put the title screen into, as long as the glitch is not present. I can always fix the checksum myself later, using InSnest.

• Dragonsbrethren responded and had this to say:

"I looked through my notes to see if I still had any offsets for that patch, but I couldn't find anything. I didn't actually decompress the title graphic to make that patch, though. I compared the original Japanese version, English translation, and German translation until I found the compressed graphic, then just copied that between the versions to make the patch. If I had to guess, maybe the fairy graphics come right after the title screen, and maybe the new graphic is too big and overwriting some of the compressed data?"

I guess the only way this title patch might be able to work with the english rom is by someone comparing the english 1.01 rom with the rom patched with the new screen and trying to figure out what went wrong and somehow copying the data from the rom patched with the new screen into the rom with the old screen. I was hoping DB might be able to do that, since he made the previous patch...

I'm not sure how the new title is "bigger," since the previous "Seiken Densetsu 3" looks wider...

I would suggest maybe trying to ask help from other people in the rom-hacking community, but that last time I brought up the idea to change the title (a long long time ago in 2005 on the Zophar forums), it created a bitter debate and many people were offended by the idea of anyone calling Seiken Densetsu 3 "Secret of Mana 2." So I am cautious to bring up the topic again elsewhere... but maybe you'd have more luck.

• No panic, we just made it. ;)

We're not quite sure what the problem previously was, but the patch did not contain all the changes.

The new patch in the attachments should work with every "Seiken Sensetsu 3" ROM Image that has no header. It only contains the new titles screen graphics and won't fix any other problems. I also will add a readme, when I have enough time.

• Thanks again Jezz, I will try this patch and on the un-headered "fail" checksum version of the 1.01 english rom, and cross my fingers.

UPDATE: I applied the patch and the fairies aren't glitching! Thanks!
    I will keep playing from the beginning to make sure it is glitch-free. ^^

• Zitat von Kitsune Baka

I'm not sure how the new title is "bigger," since the previous "Seiken Densetsu 3" looks wider...

If you look at my second version of "Secret of Mana" you see, that it is just as large as the "Seiken Densetsu", but we had to reduce the size of the graphics so that it fit into the ROM.

Zitat von Kitsune Baka

[...] but that last time I brought up the idea to change the title (a long long time ago in 2005 on the Zophar forums), it created a bitter debate and many people were offended by the idea of anyone calling Seiken Densetsu 3 "Secret of Mana 2."

I know, some people like the Japanese title more than the "wrong" translated English version. Therefore, I'm also working on an alternative sharper version of "Seiken Densetsu" in the same style.

(w.i.p.)

• I did find one very small, practically un-detectable difference between the pre-patch and the post patched rom,
    concerning the animations of the fairies when they are tired and fluttering to the left of the screen.

But to be fair, this flashes very rapidly and is on the screen for such a short amount of
    time that I only caught it by slowing the frame rate down to a snail's pace and save-stating.
    This is a very minor issue, and it isn't like the one before (middle) was much better, lol...
    and people probably never noticed it then either.

If you think about it, it's like they have legs now... *giggles*

• This seems not to be a glitch, because it is in our tile set in the bottom right corner.

I've never noticed this, but it should be removable.

Awesome. You have already done so much. ^^
    The new title screen makes me very happy.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ich hab von Magno die Bugs bzgl der Boxen für die Hotels / Shops und Ja/Nein Situationen bekommen.
    Werde die Tage nochmal die aktuelle Rom rausschicken

1. Ende Screen ist nun enthalten

2. Luc wird hinterm Geld angezeigt und die Box stimmt und ist nicht mehr verschoben

3. Die Auswahlicons vor der Box stimmen nun!

@ Magno: thanks for your amazing help and the support with the tool. You have enable the possibility of this retranslation without bugs.
    I hope we can realize further projects like Trashure Hunter G or something.

Gruß

red

• HI everybody!!

I finally registered on the forum to clear up the bug about the logo, so now you can blame me for everything directly XDD

First of all, I'm happy that all changes I made yesterday evening worked fine, so now Red Scorpion will be able to finish the patch wihout, hopefully, more bugs. As I said on my email to Red Scorpion, "Ende" screen edition was working properly, but it looked like he wasn't using it properly. As for the window sizes, they all can be resized as you wish by changing some parameters.

As for the intro screen, my tool creates a new version of the ROM: all code is relocated where it better fits to make room to compressed text. So any patch made with my tool CAN'T be inserted directly to english ROM version by the means you are doing it. The offsets don't match, and the compression scheme is changed for graphics. So propably, the problem was that the byte indicanting which decompression routine has be used is the original one, but my tool chooses which one is the best and may not match with the original.

I hope you enjoy the german version of this great game!!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi magno,

thanks for your registration, i think you are a good asset for this project.

i have already explain that the tool can only create a new rom and CAN´T change any English rom details.

In connection with other patches, like the 3rd Player Patch it works without any problem, (not completely tested,yet)
    and the title screen patch from romhacking has glitches and bugs and doesn’t work properly.

I don’t understand you sentence with the “ENDE” Screen. It works I think without any glitches. It´s that what you want to say?
    At the moment I’m at work and couldn’t check the email from yesterday.

• Hi, Magno! I'm sorry if the post I left on SnesDev sounded "blaming." I did not mean for it to come across that way. Mostly, I was just trying to repeat what Red was saying about the possibility that the title patch was not working on the english rom because you had based your tool on a different rom version. I was just saddened by thinking that I might not be able to use the new and improved title screen with the english rom because of the fairies glitch, but Jezz adjusted it so it works now. There is only a slight bit of graphical "debris" under the fairy when it becomes tired and goes to the left of the screen, and to be fair, the English rom (before the new title patch) had a similar debris, I just didn't notice it before. Everything else seems to be working just fine.

• I don%u2019t understand you sentence with the %u201CENDE%u201D Screen. It works I think without any glitches. It´s that what you want to say?

I thought you told me that you coldn't change the "Ende" graphic, but I could. I didn't make any change to the code, I only edited "Grpah_End.bin" and worked fine.
    That's what I meant :D

Hi, Magno! I'm sorry if the post I left on SnesDev sounded "blaming." I did not mean for it to come across that way. Mostly, I was just trying to repeat what Red was saying about the possibility that the title patch was not working on the english rom because you had based your tool on a different rom version. I was just saddened by thinking that I might not be able to use the new and improved title screen with the english rom because of the fairies glitch, but Jezz adjusted it so it works now. There is only a slight bit of graphical "debris" under the fairy when it becomes tired and goes to the left of the screen, and to be fair, the English rom (before the new title patch) had a similar debris, I just didn't notice it before. Everything else seems to be working just fine.

Haha, no problem about your post, I was just kidding!

I'm glad that you finally could insert the logo and worked fine. I certainly think that it looks cool, far better that the one in my patch.
    How did you make it fit the SNES colour palette using Photoshop?

• The small title sceen patch we have provided, should work with every "Sekien Desnsetsu 3" ROM without Header. We've simply copied the graphics from the modified ROM into the Japanese original ROM and created the patch. Because the graphics are still at the same address (0x003ea6f0 - 0x003eb8ff), it was not so difficult.

I would like to make a small improvement suggestion to your tool. If the graphics are too large after compression and cannot be inserted, also print a message how many byte too large. So we could guess how much space we have to reduce. (The LZ compression ratio should be about 2:1)

I also would like to thank you for you tool. I can't use it directly, but Red is always so kind and inserts the graphics for me. :)

Zitat

How did you make it fit the SNES colour palette using Photoshop?

I don't use a special color palette, but I create the graphics with the same colors in 24 bit, which are also used by the sprite in 15 bit. The tile editor (Tile Molester) converts the color depth of the imported graphics automatically.

• I certainly think that it looks cool, far better that the one in my patch.

I love the new title design because it is so clear and sharp and it looks proper on a TV screen (I play my roms on a TV by Svideo cable and a Mayflash Wii Classic Controller to USB Adapter). The previous title patch that DB made by copying the older title from a German rom was not as clear, though I appreciated his efforts. The re-design looks fantastic, and I hope that when the complete versions of both the SoM2 and SD3 logo IPS are made, they will be made available at some place like Romhacking.net.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I thought you told me that you coldn't change the "Ende" graphic, but I could. I didn't make any change to the code, I only edited "Grpah_End.bin" and worked fine.
    That's what I meant :D

Hmm okay... .) I try to change it, because i cant see any changes at the end screen.
    thanks for this ,)

greetz

red

• Ich habe eine seltsame Entdeckung gemacht (vllt ist es mir nur bisher nie aufgefallen)

Sieht für mich eher nach den Rüstungen für eine Duran-Hawk-Angela Kombo aus und nicht meine Hawk-Angela-Carlie Party.
    Die Rüstung (typischerweise Duran) ist für Hawk, der Mantel (typisches Design für Hawk) für Angela und das Kleid (passt eigentlich nur zu Angela) für Carlie.

Ist das normal und ein Fehler im eigentlichen Spiel oder durch den Patch gekommen?

Grüße
    Döner

PS: Das Ganze ist in Palo nachdem man Navarre vertrieben hat.