cp1252 All right, kid. You asked for it!/00 {END} Garlyle: Heh heh! You're next, buddy!/00 {END} H-Help!/00 {END} Garlyle: ...huh? Was it something I said?/00 {END} T-Thank you so much.../00 {END} Garlyle: Don't worry about it. Go back to the ocean!/00 {END} Wait!<07> I'd really like to express my gratitude to you.../00 {END} Garlyle: You mean a reward?<07> What'd you have in mind?/00 {END} Simple! We should get married! Then you'd become King of the Ocean!/00 {END} Garlyle: Wh-Wh-What?/00 {END} Didn't you know? I'm the Queen of the Ocean! I can make you my king if I want to! Who would argue with the queen?/00 {END} Garlyle: Weeell... -No, I can't! -Let's get married.<09>/00 {END} Garlyle: Well... I, uh, owe her... I owe her some money./00 {END} Garlyle: What? I mean.../00 {END} ...I understand. Don't worry about it.<07> I can give you a little money to help you pay off your debt. Here's 50 Ragu. Thank you for rescuing me!/00 {END} I am<07> going back to the sea now. Take care!/00 {END} Hey! This isn't enough!/00 {END} I'm sorry. Still, this does mean I've got to find another man to be my king.../00 {END} I know! That handsome warrior, Sion {END} Garlyle: WHAT?<07> Lady, you're about to make the biggest mistake of your life! Even you can't be THAT desperate!/00 {END} Eh-heh! Well.../00 {END} Garlyle: I'm afraid duty comes first, miss. I am sworn to prevent the destruction of this world at any price!<05>Remember my name! Garlyle, greatest warrior in the world!/00 {END} Garlyle: I... don't know her. Never mind!/00 {END} Mermaid: ...Huh? Hey!<07> Where are you going?/00 {END} Don't worry, miss! We'll save you! We will, we will!/00 {END} Those voices...<07> Oh, no! Not THEM! Th-This is bad!/00 {END} Hey! Stop bothering that Mermaid!/00 {END} Don't let us catch you doing anything like this again! ...And bow your heads when you're looking at us!/00 {END} You won't have to worry about them from now on!/00 {END} I... I... Thank you so much!/00 {END} No need to thank us! We always protect the weak!/00 {END} Thank you! Please accept a modest reward of 100,000 Ragu for your troubles! I'm going back to the ocean now. Farewell!/00 {END} Awesome! Let's go get something to eat!/00 {END} Garlyle: ...well, that could have gone better./00 {END} Garlyle: All right. Why not?/00 {END} Hop on my back!/00 {END} Happiness, here we come!/00 {END} And that was the last anyone ever saw of Garlyle./00 {END} Courtier: Milord, did you truly capture a Giant yesssterday? Pipin: Of courssse! BwahahaHAHA!/00 {END} Milord! We've captured a human from the Toxic Landss! He looksss sssusspicious! ...what ssshould we do?/00 {END} -Bring him to me! -Kill him!<09>/00 {END} -A light...? -That light is mine!<09>/00 {END} This? This jewel is a Jade. It belongs to my beloved. We're traveling the world together to purify the pollution. If you're the all-knowing King of the World, you already know her name.../00 {END} -Yes, it's Riza! -Yes, it's Garlyle!<09>/00 {END} Pipin: What... What am I doing here? Where isss Riza? I have no time for sssuch foolisssh gamesss!/00 {END} As you command!/00 {END} H-Help!<07>/00 {END} I j-just sell herbs! What'd I ever do to you? Wh-Why do you want to kill me?/00 {END} As you command!/00 {END} You pack of savages! What'd I ever do to you? /00 {END} Kneel! Kneel before King Pipin!<07>/00 {END} Here he issss!/00 {END} Eh? This scaly midget is the almighty King of the Reptiles? You've got to be kidding! He's just a runt!/00 {END} -Strike him! -Kill! KILL!<09>/00 {END} Eh heh heh! Well, I can't blame you for knowing who I am.<07> As protector of the Chosen, my reputation clearly proceeds me!/00 {END} Keep your little scaly mitts away from that! Don't worry! Maybe one day when you're all grown up, you'll have a Jade of your very own! See you around!<07>/00 {END} Humansss truly are sstrange creaturessss.../00 {END} A green jewel within hisss body?<07>/00 {END} Milord! Hissss body hasss turned to sssstone!/00 {END} Oops! Did I mention that whoever touches the Jade is petrified on the spot?/00 {END} Forget King Pipin... I'm the king now! King of the World!/00 {END} Fine! I've had enough!<07>/00 {END} I didn't want to do this, but... You gave me no other choice.<07> Get out of here! Get out while you still can!/00 {END} Wait!/00 {END} What isss he doing? Humansss truly are sstrange beingssss.../00 {END} Hsssst! ...isss that... ticking? I... It can't be!<07>/00 {END} 3...<07> 2...<07> 1...<07> 0!<07>/00 {END} Marina: W... What am I doing here?/00 {END} Marina: Now I remember... I'm supposed to do something with the Egg! But what was it?<05>-Place the Egg! -Break the Egg!<09>/00 {END} Marina: L... Looks like it's up to me! L-<07>Let's do it!<05> "<0F><4A><">!/00 {END} Marina: N-Nothing's happening? Did I... use the wrong incantation?/00 {END} Marina: What should I do...?/00 {END} -Try more mantras! -Call for help!<09>/00 {END} Marina: All right!/00 {END} Marina: Still no effect? Nothing's happening... <07>Eeeeeek!/00 {END} What is your business here? Why have you come to our temple?/00 {END} Marina: What's going on?<07> Monsters?<07> This can't be good!<05>-Attack! -Call for help!<09>/00 {END} Marina: A-All right!<07> Here goes!<07>/00 {END} Voice: Foolish girl!<07>/00 {END} Marina: Eeeeeek! What was THAT?/00 {END} Voice: Breaking the sacred egg entrusted to you? Unforgiveable!/00 {END} Marina: I'm s-s-sorry! I-It was an accident!<07> W... Who are you?/00 {END} Prophet: I am a prophet of the Danans!<07> Now you shall be punished for your actions!/00 {END} Marina: B-But.../00 {END} Prophet: Woman of the sea! I hereby condemn you to a life of servitude to the ruler of this world!/00 {END} Marina: Th... The ruler of this world?/00 {END} Pipin: <07>Bow!<07> Bow before Pipin the Dragon King!/00 {END} Marina: <07>No! This is all wrong! H... How could you be so... so cruel?<07> Ohhhh...!/00 {END} Pipin: ...why isss everyone ssso afraid of me?/00 {END} Marina: <07>"AQU<">!<07> "AQU<">!<07> "<0F>/33<">!<07> "<0F>:<">!<07> N-N-Nothing's working!/00 {END} Marina: /3BHuff/3B /3BHuff/3B<07> This is the end.../00 {END} Farewell, mermaid.../00 {END} Marina: Somebody, help! Someone! Anyone! The more of you, the better!/00 {END} Marina: What I need right now are friends...<07> But who'd rescue me? Who'd be most likely to come help me? It'd have to be.../00 {END} Who?-A girl and her pets. -Three comrades. -Two thieves./0A/00 {END} Here we are!/00 {END} Let's get out of here!<05> "PRAKER<">!/00 {END} Dune: This place had better be worth it!/00 {END} Cid: Look, boss! A mermaid! I bet she knows where we'd be able to find some treasure around here!/00 {END} Dune: You're coming with us, missy!/00 {END} Dune: An... ear?<07>/00 {END} Marina: Riza! Garlyle! Pipin!<05>What on...<07> What am I doing here? Everyone's waiting for me! Hold on! I'm on my way!/00 {END} Marina: Hey, you! Out of the way, you freak!/00 {END} There is a note here...<07> It says that this monitor links the Jades together.<05>Who will-Sion {END} I bestow upon you the light of the vision./00 {END} Sion {END} Dune: Hmm... Everything's getting far too complicated lately./00 {END} Cid: Why are you looking so grim, boss?/00 {END} Dune: Heh! I don't think I'm the only one.../00 {END} Cid: What do you mean?<07> What's the matter...?/00 {END} Dune: Come on. Let's sit down./00 {END} Dune: I was just thinking... What if this Jade here's the thing causing all of these problems?/00 {END} Cid: C'mon, boss! You know the plan! With the Jade and the Ten Divine Treasures, we'll create paradise on earth! As long as Brasnir's guiding us, there's no way in hell we can fail!/00 {END} <07>Legin: Damn it! That creep took out the bridge!<05>Sork: So what is happening if we are wanting to cross the river again?<05>Legin: No use crying over spilled milk. Let's go!/00 {END} ......FOOLS...... YOU SHOULD HAVE STAYED INSIDE THE MONITORS. MEIFA WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ABLE TO CALL OUT TO YOU... AND YOU WOULD HAVE SURVIVED THE IMPENDING APOCALYPSE./00 {END} Garlyle: L-Let's get outta here!<05>Pipin: We do not even know thisss Meifa! You are wassssting our time with thissss nonsssensse of yoursss!/00 {END} ......HA HA...... ......HA HA HA...... YOU STILL DO NOT UNDERSTAND. THIS BEAUTIFUL PLACE WAS BORN OF MEIFA'S ACTIONS. YOU HAVE ALREADY SEEN HER FACE ONCE, AND SHALL SEE IT AGAIN IN TIME. WHEN ALL IS PURE ONCE MORE, SHE WILL REAPPEAR IN THIS WORLD.<07>/00 {END} IN THEIR GREED, THE HUMANS SOUGHT TO TWIST THE BIO-TANKS TO SERVE THEIR ENDS. IN DOING SO, THEY SET FREE THE FORCES WHICH HAVE POISONED THIS PLANET. ONLY I CAN CONTROL THE MACHINES OF THE TEMPLE OF CULTURE.<05>......CHOSEN...... I AM THE ORIGIN OF THE POLLUTION YOU WOULD SEEK TO UNDO. YOU MUST NOT ALLOW THIS PLANET TO COME TO ANY FURTHER HARM. ALL IS DONE... MEIFA IS REVEALED AND SHATTERED. TAKE THIS WITH YOU. USE THIS AT THE TEMPLE OF Vairocana AND SHE WILL APPEAR TO YOU.../00 {END} Whew! We're finally out of that blasted wall! Let's return to the castle! King Eltina must be informed! ...What an incredible machine!/00 {END} We will wield a weapon no living being can stand against!<05>His Majesty must be waiting for us. Let's go!/00 {END} Save? -Save. -Don't save.<09>/00 {END} Go on!/00 {END} Drop in a "/0EQ<">? -Drop one in. -Forget it.<09>/00 {END} The jar is empty./00 {END} - Bio-Tank User's Manual - The three Bio-Tanks respond to control dials. Each dial combination corresponds to a different mode of operation./00 {END} OPERATION 1: WORLD DOMINATION Any monarch may use the Tanks to corrupt the earth and thus gain power. In time, the Tanks' conduits will carry the taint across the world. Fear of this power will bring the world to kneel before him./00 {END} OPERATION 2: WORLD PEACE The Tanks may be used to suffuse the earth with renewed vitality. The world shall bloom, and a new age of peace and prosperity will begin./00 {END} WARNING! Only one mode of operation may be active at any one time. To change modes, use the dials set into each Bio-Tank. Once turned, the dial will lock into place, and cannot be used again. Beware! Any mistake will fatally overload the Bio-Tanks!/00 {END} -Read the next page. -Leave it.<09>/00 {END} - Operation 1 Manual - Star Tank: Left Moon Tank: Right Earth Tank: Right/00 {END} - Operation 2 Manual - Star Tank: Left Moon Tank: Left Earth Tank: Right/00 {END} - Archeological Report on the Temple of Culture - Iron-plated rooms have been located beneath the surface. We have found several glowing walls, but cannot discern their purpose. We also have had a number of narrow escapes with a strange iron beast. The creature may be responsible for recent disappearances... Our numbers have been severly dimished since we entered the Temple./00 {END} We have discovered a moving chamber. It appears to travel between the top floor and basement of the temple structure. It has also been able to travel horizontally between areas. Another chamber lies to its right, but we lack the key needed to open it. We will continue our investigation along the right side of the complex. We may be able to rebuild this facility on a lesser scale east of Babel. The machinery remains in good condition, and serves as an excellent model./00 {END} We have discovered a "Bio-Tank User's Manual<">. Once deciphered, we will hopefully be able to identify the temple's builders and determine how this place came to be. A large key has also been discovered. With it, we have been able to open the door to the innermost chamber. There, we found three large tanks, but we do not yet know how to use them. The glowing walls and the iron beast still remain an enigma, but our research continues to advance at a steady pace./00 {END} We have deciphered the "User's Manual<">! We will now be able to use the tanks in the innermost chamber. Several scouts were sent ahead in order to inspect the tanks. His Majesty is determined to activate them and thus discover their true uses./00 {END} We have sent in five men to start up the Bio-Tanks. We have decided to experiment with their function as a weapon. According to the Manual, the tanks are capable of generating a substance which spreads through the earth by means of external conduits. King Eltina has taken possession of the Great Key for the time being./00 {END} The factory complex which surrounds the temple is now completely unearthed. From it, we have gleaned that this site was once the Armed City Gomorrah. The five men sent to start up the Bio-Tanks have vanished into thin air. An epidemic of unknown origin has spread through the entirety of the site. The bodies of the sick are covered by a layer of toxins. As a result, the affected have been transferred to a camp in the north./00 {END} Finally, the taint of the Bio-Tanks has reached Castle Sodom. The servants have died, one after another, from their terrible poison. Will I be next to fall prey to the toxin's burning agonies? And so everything falls apart... I have no doubt in my mind that the shining giant is the source of this misery. If any life is to survive on this world, it will be at his mercy alone...<05>The next page crumbles in your fingers./00 {END} The book is covered with blood.../00 {END} - Enigmas of the Temple - The glowing walls, the iron beast, and the Bio-Tanks... Who could have created such things? A further mystery is the shining giant seen by several of our number. Some are already claiming it as a creation of the Goddess Meifa. For my part, I refuse to draw any conclusions at this point in time. The only certainty is that it is a vital and central part of this complex./00 {END} The Bio-Tanks have now been set in motion. With the power to change the world, the Tanks are truly an awesome weapon. Now their payload courses through the Armed City once more.../00 {END} - Notes on Gomorrah - As we have found, the five researchers succeeded in activating the Bio-Tanks. As if by magic, the earth began to discolor and the metal rust and flake. One man attempted to stop the mechanism, but it was too little, too late. If only we had never found that accursed key!/00 {END} Like the color of earth and sea, the air too has changed... The power of the Bio-Tanks makes even nature tremble in its wake. In the midst of it all, the shining giant watches our death and despair. Does he, too, fear the weapon as we do now?/00 {END} Riza: The book... It disappeared!<07>/00 {END} Riza: Our world... Ruined by such petty actions.../00 {END} In which direction will you turn the dial?/00 {END} The dial is firmly locked into place./00 {END} -Left. -Right. -Stop./0A/00 {END} Garlyle: Have we stopped the source of the pollution?/00 {END} Garlyle: Something smells burnt!/00 {END} Riza: Huh? The Jade!<07>/00 {END} Pipin: Look! It issss clearing up!<07>/00 {END} Pipin: The sssource of the Pollution hass been stopped!/00 {END} Voice: Truly you are worthy of the title of Chosen! For the first time, we have been able to witness your true power./00 {END} Voice: You have passed the greatest test created by the Danans' descendants./00 {END} Within this Temple lies a pathway to the Abyss. Seek out the Oceanic Purifier we constructed for the Merfolk. In your travels, you will meet the Hegs, Guardian Deities of the Water. Go forth now, Chosen, and cleanse the oceans of their taint! Fare thee well!<07>/00 {END} Garlyle: So there's a way to get to the Abyss somewhere nearby, huh? Let's go and find it!<05>Pipin: What manner of beassst might a Heg be?<05>Riza: I wonder... Could they be the same Hegs whose egg Marina was caring for?/00 {END} You have fallen victims to the Bio-Tanks... In which era will the next Chosen appear?/00 {END} Riza: We can breathe underwater?<05>Pipin: Isss thisss the path to the Abysss the voicesss mentioned?<05>Garlyle: It's got to be! But how are we going to get through?/00 {END} We must open the way for the Chosen and her companions... Let them protect the blue life as prophecied!/00 {END} Garlyle: Wh...? Whoa! That's one hell of a gust!<07>/00 {END} Riza: Eeeek!<07>/00 {END} Monster: You will never succeed in purifying the oceans!<07>/00 {END} Mouse: Wow!<07>/00 {END} Riza: Is it morning already?<05>Garlyle: Yes! Can't you feel the power of nature coursing in you?<05>Pipin: Come! Let ussss find the Purifier and cleanssse the oceans!/00 {END} Garlyle: Let's do it!/00 {END} Voice: Eeeeeek!<07>/00 {END} Pipin: Marina! W-What isss thisss beasssst?/00 {END} Riza: Marina! Hold on!/00 {END} Marina: Oh, Riza! I was just about to push this button... Then this monster just shows up out of nowhere!/00 {END} Abrasax: We have made our homes at the pollution's core... I will not allow you to destroy the source of our power!<07>/00 {END} Garlyle: Are you all right, Marina?<05>Pipin: Ssstop being ssso dissstant! We are here to asssissst you!/00 {END} Marina: I... wanted to help the Guardian Deities escape from here. They need to return to their homes./00 {END} Pipin: Thissss palace housssess the Oceanic Purifier, doesss it not?<05>Garlyle: So we've plugged up the source of the pollution. Now all we have to do is get the poison out of oceans themselves!<05>Riza: Let's push the button!/00 {END} Danapati: It was your race that poisoned the waters with its actions. And now, after centuries of pollution, you come to undo your folly? Behold my body, twisted by the toxins unleashed by your kin! This is what you have visited on the Merfolk... On my people! You do not deserve a second chance, humans!<07>/00 {END} Riza: Huh? My Jade is shining.../00 {END} Garlyle: Behind the door! The Purifier's got to be there!/00 {END} Riza: Finally! This must be the Oceanic Purifier./00 {END} Marina: Look there! The Guardian Deities!<05>Pipin: They mussst be the onessss mentioned in the Propheciessss. The blue life they ssshall protect, and receive the guidance of the oceanss...<05>Garlyle: They must have come to here to help, then! They want to save our planet, too! <05>Marina: I can sense a kind of... sadness.<05>Pipin: I would be sssad, too, living in thisss polluted muck!/00 {END} Garlyle: We've taken care of the air and earth!<07> All that's left now is to clean up the oceans!/00 {END} Voice: Marvelous! However, the Cataclysm still advances unabated. In six days, all your efforts will be for naught! Chosen! Go to the Temple of Vairocana and receive the words of Meifa!/00 {END} Marina: Now everything is cleansed!<05>Garlyle: It won't make a difference if the planet's destroyed in six days. But we still have a chance! We can't give up just yet! <05>Pipin: Ssso we mussst find thisss Meifa asss sssoon asss possible!<05>Riza: Unfortunately, I have no idea where Vairocana even is. How do we get there?<05>Marina: We should go and ask the Elder in Lyla. He's bound to know! Get on the Hegs. I'll lead the way!/00 {END} Garlyle: Are you sure they're not going to try and... uh, eat us?<05>Pipin: Of courssse not, you foolisssh ape! Let'sss go!/00 {END} Marina: Hurry up! Get on! Every second is precious!/00 {END} Garlyle: Riza! Hold on! I'll see you again soon!/00 {END} Marina: This is Lyla, the village where I was born. Gosh! Look at how pretty the place is now that the water's finally clean! Riza... Garlyle... Pipin... This is all thanks to you. Thank you so much!/00 {END} Garlyle: You'd think we were born to help clean up this world./00 {END} Marina: Let's go see the Elder! His house is just up behind the waterfall./00 {END} Marina: Elder! I have returned!/00 {END} Elder: You have ensured the safety of the Guardian Deities-GLUB... Now the oceans are pure once more-GLUB./00 {END} Marina: Yes! I met Riza and her friends along the way. They rescued me and helped me protect the Egg. It's thanks to them that our planet is now free of pollution! And now they're trying to prevent its destruction!/00 {END} Elder: Then all is well-GLUB. But how were they able to enter the Abyss and come to us-GLUB? Were you able to discover one of our Heg Shrines-GLUB?/00 {END} Marina: Heg Shrines?/00 {END} Elder: Long ago, before the Age of the Merfolk, the Danans ruled this world. The Shrines were where the Danans communed with the Guardian Deities-GLUB. One such Shrine, the Shrine of Vairocana, lies east of this town-GLUB. I travelled there myself to consult with the Hegs many years ago-GLUB./00 {END} Riza: Did you say Vairocana?/00 {END} Marina: That must be the way into the Temple of Vairocana! The Guardian Deities can take us there for sure!/00 {END} Marina: ...but that would mean leaving the ocean again! AAHHH!<07> Just when I got home...<07> But there's no way around it. I've got to go, too!/00 {END} Garlyle: We should be able to take care of it alone.<07> You don't have to come with us if you don't want to. After all, this is our mission, not yours./00 {END} Marina: The Deities will guide US to Vairocana, Garlyle!/00 {END} Marina: Mighty ones! I beg a boon of you. Will you take us to the Shrine of Vairocana?/00 {END} -Leave for Vairocana. -Stay a little longer.<09>/00 {END} Marina: In time, you'll grow to be the mightiest beings in the oceans. I promise!/00 {END} Marina: Let's go!/00 {END} Marina: Thank you for delivering us safely and swiftly, mighty ones! We're exactly where we need to be now!/00 {END} CHOSEN! OUR ANCESTORS FIRST MET THE DANAN RACE IN THIS CAVE. A CHANCE ENCOUNTER AS THEY SURFACED FOR AIR ONE DAY... FAREWELL./00 {END} Pipin: Hsst! That ssmell... Could it be...?<05>Garlyle: What's wrong? Why are you shivering?<05>Marina: You're not afraid, are you? Nobility isn't afraid of anything!<05>Pipin: My, uh, memoriesss of the Western Continent are not the fondessst.<05>Riza: Don't worry! The plants here won't bite.<05>Garlyle: Don't worry, Your Lizardship! We'll keep an eye open for you. No flowers are going to make a meal out of you on OUR watch!<05>Pipin: I appreciate it. ...all the sssame, I would prefer we left, and ssoon.<05>Garlyle: Don't be such a wuss, kid!/00 {END} Riza: The Jade?/00 {END} Sage: Pipin? Is it really you? Where have you been? Everyone has been deeply worried about your well-being since you vanished./00 {END} Sage: Sion {END} Sage: The Chosen! Then the Jade you bear must contain the Spirit of Life./00 {END} Pipin: That'sss right! Jusssst asss the Danan Propheciesss foretold!/00 {END} Sage: Silence, child! I had hopes the outside world would grant you a measure of maturity.../00 {END} Sage: As you may know, our ancestors wrote much on the subject of the Chosen./00 {END} Riza: I still can't believe I'm the one the Prophecies talk about...<05>Garlyle: Hey! No need to be modest here! You're the real deal, Riza!<05>Marina: After everything I've seen, I wouldn't doubt it for a second.<05>Pipin: Even the Sssacred Tree sssaid you were the one, missss!/00 {END} Sage: You are guided by the Goddess Meifa.../00 {END} Garlyle: Who is this Meifa, anyway?/00 {END} Sage: We Danans were the first to experience the Rudra's wrath. In our stead arose the Merfolk, but they too were destroyed. The Rudra who had cleansed the seas of life then gave rise to a new race... But the Reptiles' reign too was but a brief one. A new Rudra arose... Thus the Age of the Giants began with the scouring of the land. But even they could not stand against the Rudra's wrath... Humanity arose as light swept the skies clean, annihilating the Giants. Now the omens tell us the coming of a new Rudra is nigh... Humanity will fall, and the Great Cycle will begin once more.<05>A Jade shall shine in the face of cataclysm, and the Chosen shall awaken.../00 {END} Pipin: But why musst thisss terrible cycle continue? What dessstroyed the Temple of Culture which birthed the pollution?/00 {END} Sage: Four thousand years ago, the Age of Giants had reached its end. It was then that the Goddess Meifa appeared to us with a task... To build the great machine that was to become the Air Purifier. Its counterpart were the great Bio-Tanks of the Temple of Culture. The pollution emitted by the Bio-Tanks had but one purpose... To act as a signal, spurring the Purifier into action. To set into motion the events which would lead to the birth of the Chosen./00 {END} Garlyle: So Meifa knew the guys from the castle would try to misuse the Tanks, and cause the pollution needed to get the Air Purifier going. She had us figured out from the start... Man! Now I know how Pipin feels!/00 {END} Pipin: But nothing hassss changed! We have cleansssed the pollution, but have not sstopped the desstruction!<05>Garlyle: So we have to find magic that's even more powerful! If we could find out what brought those islands down from the Heavens...<05>Marina: It just all feels so... so hopeless./00 {END} Sage: Nonetheless, it is still possible to save humanity. However, if this is to happen, it will be by your hands alone. The only assistance we can give you is the guidance of our Prophecies... And now the Bloody Roses have begun to bloom... Time is short indeed./00 {END} Sage: That would mean the Goddess must already be among us./00 {END} Riza: We were told to find the Temple of Vairocana.../00 {END} Sage: Then perhaps she is waiting for you there./00 {END} Riza: But how do we get into the Temple?/00 {END} Sage: Seek the Historians of the Hidden Village. They have been recording every occurrence since the birth of our own race. Their knowledge should be able to help you in your mission. Young Pipin will take you to them./00 {END} Pipin: Let'sss hurry!/00 {END} Pipin: Thisss isss the resssidence of the hisstoriansssss./00 {END} Sage: Please be seated./00 {END} Sage: You may take a seat now./00 {END} Sage: I will only ask this once, Pipin. Why did you steal the Revive Herb?<05>Pipin: I... needed it for... For Riza'sss mother! With the Herb, she...<05>Sage: I know you are lying, Pipin. I want the truth.<05>Pipin: I... have come to trussst thessse humansss. They have given everything to undo the missstakes of their ancessstors...<05>Sage: True this may be, but your intentions were less than noble than theirs. You planned to revive the Rudra of the Reptiles, did you not? You stole that Herb to return that ancient terror to life!<05>Pipin: But I have been making amendssss! I have protected the Chosssen on her journey to cleanssse the planet! And ssso I ssshall continue until we have achieved our final goal... To make thisss world asss it wasss once, unssspoiled and pure!/00 {END} Sage: So be it. Thank you, Riza. He appears to have matured since I last saw him. His heart is softer now. Still, is what he said entirely true?/00 {END} Riza: Y-Yes! My mother said that it was my destiny. It's the best thing I can do to honor her memory./00 {END} Sage: Then I must thank you again. The Herb this child stole has the power to bring beings back from the dead. In ages past, the Bloody Roses bloomed when the Cataclysm began. The inhabitants of this Village harvested them to create the Herb. We could only save a handful of those who died at the Rudra's hands... But as long as there were survivors, this village could endure the Ages./00 {END} Garlyle: How old ARE you, anyway?/00 {END} Sage: I have lived for five hundred years now... The Herb has given me considerable longevity./00 {END} Vairocana Key used./00 {END} The gates are locked./00 {END} Mother-Energy used.<05> Powering up monitor functions.../00 {END} Meifa: I am Meifa. Chosen, I have long awaited your arrival...<07>/00 {END} Garlyle: What do you want from Riza?/00 {END} Meifa: It is wonderful to finally see you. I have always dreamed this day would come.<07><05>But now we must do battle. I must test the power that I have bestowed on you.<07>/00 {END} Pipin: What are you trying to accomplisssh, you bat? Did we not purify nature asss the Propheciesss commanded? And now you wisssh usss to face you in battle?<05>Marina: The air, the earth and oceans have all been purified. The Danan Prophecies have been fulfilled, haven't they? We did everything we could to save life on this planet! What more do you want?/00 {END} Meifa: My dear child... There is but one Prophecy which still remains. With the world in the balance, the Chosen shall face her creator.../00 {END} Riza: The wounds of our world are beginning to scar... Who could have ever known they ran so deep?<07> Do we really have to fight you?/00 {END} Meifa: I await you on the Northern Continent. Defeat me and prove beyond all doubt you are worthy of being the Chosen!/00 {END} Marina: Why these games? The Cataclysm is getting nearer and nearer!<05>Garlyle: If she's got the power to stop the Rudra, why doesn't she?<05>Pipin: Foolisssh ape! Only the Chossen can avert the coming catassstrophe! Thisss isss a final tesst of the Chosssen's true worthinessss!/00 {END} Riza: Whatever the case may be, we'll have to go and meet her in person. If she needs proof that I can defend the planet, then so be it./00 {END} Garlyle: Riza! Let's go home!/00 {END} Riza: Yeah!/00 {END} Pipin: If Meifa issss not plotting desstruction of our planet, who issss?<05>Marina: A power like that's more than I'd really like to speculate about... But I still made a promise to protect this world. That's one promise I'm not going back on!/00 {END} Riza: Everyone... I know it's my destiny, but... Thank you!/00 {END} Garlyle: Sheesh! How embarrassing!<07>/00 {END} Garlyle: I'm staying on 'til the end. I'm determined to bring some happiness back into the world!/00 {END} Marina: Me too!<05>Pipin: Riza ssshould be the firssst to take back her happinessss...<07>/00 {END} Garlyle: There's no time to lose! Let's head to the Northern Continent!/00 {END} Zeku: Riza!<07>/00 {END} Riza: Grandfather!/00 {END} Zeku: I am glad to see you safe<07>...<07>... The pollution has ceased but the portents of late have not been auspicious. After the Sky Islands fell, we found ourselves half-submerged in water./00 {END} Riza: Grandfather... My... mother is.../00 {END} Zeku: I know, my girl. Mistress Zora of Mantra Peak kept me appraised of your progress.<07> My daughter is dead, by my granddaughter carries on her work. She is deterred by nothing and in pursuit of her destiny...<07> How could anyone hope to defeat her?/00 {END} Riza: What are you...?/00 {END} Zeku: I can see it in your eyes. It's all written there, plain as day. Most importantly, it's the truth./00 {END} Riza: Grandfather!/00 {END} Zeku: Uhnnn... Nature's power has been restored, and at the most critical juncture. But I fear I will not be able to guide you for much longer. Seek out Zora without delay. Her knowledge will aid you in your mission./00 {END} Riza: Grandfather.../00 {END} Zeku: Go... But... come back to me alive./00 {END} Meifa: The time has come to test your power./00 {END} Meifa: The time for talking is over. Prepare yourselves!<07>/00 {END} Meifa: You truly are the Chosen... Your power is great enough to change the destiny of this planet.<05>The force which would destroy your race awaits you on the Moon. <05>Its name is Sodom, and its sole purpose is to annihilate all life.<05>Only four days remain before Sodom unleashes the Moonlight in full. After that, humanity will be no more./00 {END} Riza: Four days... But how are we going to get to the Moon in time?/00 {END} Meifa: My heart has already begun the process of attaching to this machine. Our combined power shall carry you to Sodom.<07> Chosen... remember your destiny.<07><05>MAIN POWER SOURCE ACTIVATED. PREPARING DEPARTURE VEHICLE...<07>/00 {END} Riza: Is everyone all right?/00 {END} Pipin: Hssst! That wassss decidedly unpleasssant.../00 {END} Garlyle: Are we really on the... Moon?<05>Marina: Let's ask Meifa./00 {END} Riza: Is this really the Moon?/00 {END} Meifa: Exit this statue and see with your own eyes, Chosen./00 {END} Garlyle: How did you manage to get us here?<05>Pipin: Isss the sssource of the dessstruction truly out there?<05>Riza: Yes, but... Who is behind all of this? Who commands Sodom?/00 {END} Meifa: It is not my place to say. I can only tell you one thing and one thing alone: If Sodom is not stopped, the Great Cycle will continue into perpetuity. Since the Danans, each new race has been more and more warlike. Man's fighting instinct is the strongest yet... That instinct gave rise to the pollution and many centuries of warfare./00 {END} Riza: ...<07>...<07>So we must use that instinct to survive? To prevent something even more savage from taking over?<07> Otherwise, humanity just... <07>disappears?/00 {END} Meifa: You fight not on your own behalf, but on that of all races. Only by defeating Sodom can any of them have a future. There is not much time... The Moonlight will be unleashed again soon./00 {END} Garlyle: Where is Sodom?/00 {END} Meifa: In the complex below this base./00 {END} Marina: What's the link between you and Sodom?/00 {END} Meifa: I have told you everything I can. Now go and fulfill your destiny!/00 {END} Garlyle: Sounds like we'd better get a move on.<05>Marina: Let's find Sodom, and quickly!/00 {END} ELEVATOR OUT OF ORDER/00 {END} Riza: We've got to get in here./00 {END} Garlyle: Whoa!<07>/00 {END} Pipin: What issss thisss light...? Could thisss be Sssodom?<05>Garlyle: This must be the Moonlight Meifa was talking about! But how are we going to stop it?<05>Marina: There's got to be a way!/00 {END} Pipin: Power... Sssodom mussst need power to generate the Moonlight!<05>Garlyle: Then all we've got to do is find a way to turn off the flow!<05>Marina: The light's targeting our planet! We've got to hurry!<05>Riza: All right! Let's figure out where Sodom's getting its power from!<05>Pipin: The elevator sshould be able to take usss there. Perhapsss we ssshould try to deactivate the elevator sssystems again./00 {END} POWER SOURCE DEACTIVATED. BEGINNING SHUTDOWN OF MOONLIGHT SYSTEM./00 {END} Pipin: Filthy device! Thisss isss the end for you!<05>Garlyle: Let's do it! All right, Sodom! This is the final showdown!/00 {END} ENERGY TANK NEEDS ENERGY SOURCE. CATACLYSM STOPPED./00 {END} Pipin: What?/00 {END} Garlyle: That's got to be Sodom!/00 {END} Pipin: Indeed!<05>Garlyle: Let's do it! All right, Sodom! This is the final showdown!/00 {END} Garlyle: Whoa! Is that... our world?<05>Pipin: It ssseems ssso different from up here.<05>Marina: We purified it... Now we've got to prevent its destruction!/00 {END} LIFE FORCE CONFIRMED.<07>/00 {END} Riza: That must be Sodom!<05>Garlyle: The source of the Catacylsm.../00 {END} SECOND RACE - 1 THIRD RACE - 1 LAST RACE - 1<07> INTENSIFY JUDGEMENT - 1<07> DESTROY FUNCTIONAL LIFE/00 {END} Riza: We did it! Our planet's saved at last!/00 {END} Garlyle: You know, I never really noticed how blue the world really is...<05>Marina: Let's go home!<07><05>Pipin: It isss time to leave thisss desssolate place.<05>Garlyle: Right! Let's go see Meifa!<05>Riza: Yeah!/00 {END} Garlyle: Let's go, Riza!/00 {END} Meifa: Well-fought! Humanity is truly more skillful in combat than the older races. But there is one final challenge you must now face... You must defeat Mitra if you are to avert another changing of the races./00 {END} Riza: Mitra? Who's Mitra? Tell us, Meifa!/00 {END} Meifa: Mitra is the Great Creator of both the Moon and your own world./00 {END} Pipin: Did she will Sssodom into being, too?<07>/00 {END} Meifa: Yes. Mitra created Sodom to eliminate the... old races./00 {END} Marina: So Sodom destroyed the Merfolk, too... And we don't take care of Mitra, another Sodom will arise before long. Right?<05>Garlyle: Then what's your relationship to Mitra?/00 {END} Meifa: We are... comrades. Mitra, Saizou, Hausen and I... The Majestic Four of legend./00 {END} Pipin: Ssso why did you not take care of Mitra yourssself?/00 {END} Meifa: Her powers have grown considerably since we fought together... She is now the most powerful being on this planet. Only the power of the Jades is capable of defeating Mitra. Only the Jades united could hope to stand against her./00 {END} Garlyle: So the other Jadebearers will take care of Mitra?/00 {END} Meifa: In time. There are duties they must fulfill before they can join you. For now, all that remains is to await their arrival. You yourselves would not have as much as a prayer against Mitra in battle./00 {END} Riza: Sion {END} Meifa: Let us now hope that they manage to reach this base in time. I have already prepared your means of escape. At the base of this statue, you shall find two doors. The one to the right leads to escape pods... devices which can carry you home. It would be wise to leave this place before the final battle begins./00 {END} Riza's Scenario --The End/00 {END} Prophecies of the Danans Chapter 4 In time, a messenger of destruction shall herald the end of all living things. The river of life shall run, ushering in a new age and new prosperity. As the Ages come and go, one who has been chosen to end the Cycle shall appear. The great hero shall then, bearing a brilliant light to once again herald the destruction of all life, redeem the masses and sit as the Lord of Nature, the Chosen savior of the planet. Upon visiting a land distant from all, the Chosen shall deliver all life and bestow upon it the highest blessing. /00 {END} 3980 During an expedition to the Tower of the Giants, Dr. Muench discovers a stone monolith at the tower's summit. Embedded within the ancient stone lay a creature of unknown origin. Muench named this monolith the Lago Stone. 3999 Nineteen years have passed since Dr. Muench's discovery. Now, on the eve of the coming millennium, Dr. Muench discovered a new Lago Stone in the Dragon God Ruins./00 {END} <07>Legin: ...a Lago Stone, huh?<05>Muench: That of the Reptile race, if I'm any judge. The carving on the surface appears to be a creature called a "Rudra<">./00 {END} <07>Muench: All in all, the power of this stone is formidable indeed. Do you feel it too, Surlent?<05>Surlent: Indeed. Particularly around the small jewel set into the carving itself...<05>Muench: We still have a lot of work left to do on the inscriptions proper. Once translated, they may be able to tell us more about it.<05>Legin: This thing's giving me the creeps... Are you sure we ought to be taking this back to the lab in Avdol? If it's as powerful as you say it is...<05>Muench: I had already considered that fact. My old friend Lord Eremia has a powerful artifact in his possession... Its powers should be able to dampen the Lago Stone's innate energies./00 {END} <07>Legin: Is this Stone as old as the last one?<05>Muench: Older still. The Giants' Lago Stone dates back only 8,000 years... This one, on the other hand, appears to be nearly 12,000 years old.<05>Legin: That's a 4000-year difference... You think those old myths are true, then? The ones about the 4,000-year cycle of creation and destruction?/00 {END} <07>Muench: If so, my studies have yet to show conclusive proof for it. As far as any Cataclysm is concerned... it's only a matter of time, really.<05>Surlent: You believe the myths, then?<05>Muench: Ha! Who needs ancient mystical beasts? Between the air and water pollution, we're doing a fine job ourselves. No, gentlemen! If our destruction looms, it is by our hands alone.<05>Muench: At any rate! Go to Eremia and ask him for the Holy Grail on my behalf.<05>Surlent: Very well.<05>Muench: Take care, you! Eremia's Grail is beyond priceless! If something were to happen to it.../00 {END} Legin: And you, Doctor?<05>Muench: We shall transport the stone to Oriab in preparation for shipping. We'll meet up at the inn there once all's said and done.<05>Legin: Works for me. Let's go, Mr. Surlent!/00 {END} Legin: Eh? That carving up there looks kinda familiar...<05>Archeologist: That thing? That's the Jade Sigil. As a symbol, it predates all known races...<05>Archeologist: You might have remembered it from the Lago Stone. The Rudra has the same sigil carved on that jewel of his.<05>Surlent: Is this Sigil found on all Lago Stones?<05>Legin: Maybe we should wait with the questions until we get back. Lord Eremia's practically a legend around here. Wait 'til you see his place!/00 {END} Archeologist: Oh! Are you heading to Lord Eremia's? Exit the ruins and...<05>Legin: ...head west. I know the drill. I've been there before./00 {END} Eremia: Ah, Surlent! I expect the doctor sent you. Come for the Grail, have you?/00 {END} Surlent: Indeed, milord. Dr. Muench requires it for his research./00 {END} Eremia: The terrible energy of the Lago Stones, eh?/00 {END} Legin: Yessir!/00 {END} Eremia: Then there's no way around it. Can't have that old fool risking life and limb in the name of research, eh?/00 {END} Surlent: We can take it, then?/00 {END} Eremia: Provided you promise to take good care of it, of course! Much of the Grail's power is still unknown to us. Don't start banging it about on a lark, you hear?/00 {END} Surlent: Of course./00 {END} Eremia: Come!/00 {END} <07>Boy in Red: Quick! To the roof!<07>/00 {END} <07>Surlent: Milord? Are you all right?<05>Eremia: ...the Grail! They took the Grail!<05>Legin: They WHAT?<05>Eremia: Guards! GUARDS! Come, damn you! Come!/00 {END} Only 15 days remain before the Cataclysm.<07>/00 {END} <07>Boy in Red: Unbelievable! It's actually raining? Armored Boy: What are we going to do now, boss? This heist's gone from bad to worse!/00 {END} <07>Armored Boy: C'mon, Dune! Do something! They're coming! They're coming!<05>Legin: You lousy, thieving scumbags! That Grail's a public treasure! Return it immediately!/00 {END}